A devastating cholera outbreak has sent shockwaves through Kiambu County, overwhelming Kiambu Referral Hospital with a sudden surge of patients.
More than 80 cases have been reported, and medical staff are working tirelessly to manage the crisis.
Health officials have traced the source of the outbreak to a popular eatery near Naivas Supermarket in Thika, raising concerns about further spread of the disease.
Dr. Japheth Kuthoni, the lead physician at Kiambu Referral Hospital, confirmed the alarming increase in cases. “Since yesterday, we’ve seen a sharp rise in patients presenting with severe diarrhea, vomiting, and dehydration—classic symptoms of cholera,” he said. “By noon today, we had treated 63 cases, and the numbers keep climbing.”
The hospital’s isolation ward is overcrowded, with patients lying in the corridors due to a shortage of beds.
Nurses are working quickly, administering oral rehydration solutions and intravenous fluids to treat dehydration. “We are doing everything we can, but the situation is dire,” Dr. Kuthoni added.
Preliminary investigations by the county health department found that most of the patients had consumed food or drinks from the same eatery near Naivas Supermarket in Thika. “Multiple patients reported eating there before falling ill, making it the likely source,” said Dr. Kuthoni.
In response, county health officers closed the eatery for inspection and collected samples for laboratory testing. Local vendors observed nervously as the premises were sealed off. “I used to buy lunch there every day,” said Peter Maina, a taxi driver who is now hospitalized. “The meal left me weak and trembling. I barely made it to the hospital,” he said.
Among those seeking treatment was Esther Nyambura, a primary school teacher from Gachie. “I bought roasted maize and juice from that place on Friday,” she recalled weakly. “By midnight, I was vomiting nonstop. My husband had to carry me to the hospital.”
Nearby, James Omondi, a construction worker, lay in pain. “I took tea and chapati there before work,” he groaned. “Now my whole body feels like it’s shutting down.”
For Lucy Wanjiku, a mother of two, the outbreak sparked panic. “My children also ate there, but so far, they’re okay,” she said, her voice trembling. “What if they get sick too?”
Kiambu’s Public Health Director, Dr. Susan Muthoni, urged residents to take precautions. “Cholera spreads quickly, especially in crowded areas with poor sanitation,” she warned. “Boil all drinking water, avoid raw or street food, and wash hands thoroughly.”
Local leaders have called for urgent measures, including mass chlorination of water sources and public awareness campaigns.
“We cannot afford another Mukuru kwa Njenga situation,” said MCA David Mburu, referring to Nairobi’s recent deadly outbreak.
As news spread, panic began to set in among traders and commuters along Kiambu Road. “If cholera is here, business will die,” said Mama Njeri, a fruit vendor. “People are already avoiding our stalls.”
At the hospital, Dr. Kuthoni appealed for calm but emphasized the urgency. “Cholera is treatable if caught early. If you experience symptoms, seek help immediately—delaying could be fatal.”
With the cholera death toll rising across Kenya, Kiambu’s fight is far from over. As the sun set on Saturday, medical teams prepared for a long night, hoping to contain the outbreak before it claimed more lives.